Allen Holub (@allenholub) joined me (@RyanRipley) for a discussion about #NoEstimates, #NoManagement and what it truly means for an organization to adopt agility. Allen is a trainer, writer, speaker, and coach who takes a non-tribal view of software development and eschews the dogma that surrounds many of the current agile topics and practices.
Allen recently gave a keynote at DevWeek 2015 on #NoEstimates where he opened with: “We just need to stop doing all estimation now.”
Along with #NoEstimates, Allen I discussed what it truly means for an organization to adopt agility, why such a transformation is so difficult, and how Kanban wrapped around a waterfall can make life easier for both companies and coaches.
We wrapped up with a discussion on #NoManagement and Holocracy.
And then…we called it a night.
Resources, Plugs, and More
Ryan – http://ryanripley.com
Allen – http://holub.com
- Allen is teaching a 3 day class on agility at SDD Deep Dive in London on Nov 10-12
- Allen’s class offerings:
- “Agility” focuses on agile culture and what you need to do as an organization to make agile processes work
- “Designing for Volatility” – an in-depth dive into how to design scalable fault-tolerant systems that can be built in an incremental way and can stand up to the stress of constant change
- “Design by Coding” an extension of TDD/BDD techniques to the architectural level.
- Self-Insight: Roadblocks and Detours on the Path to Knowing Thyself by David Dunning
- The original Kruger/Dunning paper
- Then of course, there’s John Cleese on Kruger/Dunning